Subscriber Login

Data & Statistics

Oman: Installed Capacity, Generation and Consumption [free access]

May 12, 2021

Oman’s power system is segregated into three isolated systems—the main interconnected system (MIS), which covers the northern half of the country; the Dhofar power system, which covers the southern Dhofar region; and the rural power system.

 

The country was estimated to have an installed generation capacity of around 10,823 MW as of the end of 2020. Installed capacity witnessed a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.39 per cent during 2016–20 and grew from around 7,842 MW in 2016.

 

Of the total installed capacity, 90 per cent was located in the MIS and the rest 10 per cent in the Dhofar region.  The country is predominantly dependent on gas-fired power generation to meet its energy needs. However, to reduce its carbon footprint, Oman is now looking to reduce its dependence on fossil fuel and add renewable energy (RE)-based capacity to diversify its power generation.

 

 

Table 1: Growth in Oman’s installed electricity capacity (MW)

 

2016 

2017 

2018 

2019 

2020E 

MIS 

7,124

7,125

7,127

9,737

9,653

Dhofar

718

703

1,149

1,148

1,170

Total

7,842

7,829

8,276

10,885  

10,823  

Note: E-2020 figures have been estimated based on forecasted data for the year.

Data does not include non-contracted generation capacity.

MIS: Main Interconnected System

Source: Authority for Public Services Regulation, Oman

 

Figure 1: Installed electricity capacity by region 2020 (%)

 


 

Source: Authority for Public Services Regulation, Oman

 

Electricity generation and consumption both grew significantly between 2016 and 2020. Electricity generation registered a CAGR of 3.78 per cent while consumption grew at a CAGR of 4.02 per cent during 2016–20.

 

Table 2: Growth in electricity generation and consumption in Oman (GWh)

 

2016 

2017 

2018 

2019 

2020E 

Generation

33,601 

35,667 

37,192 

37,513 

38,976  

Annual growth rate (%)

4.4

6.2

4.3

0.79

3.9

Imports

NA

111

111

NA

NA

Exports

NA

105

105

NA

NA

Consumption

30,358 

32,350 

33,548 

33,796 

35,479  

Annual growth rate (%)

 5.0

 11.2

 3.7

0.74

5.0

Note: E-2020 figures have been estimated based on forecasted data for the year.

Source: Authority for Public Services Regulation, Oman